Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Michael Memories

If you've read any of my prior blogs, you will know that my biological father was no where near "Father of the Year." Actually he was far from it, however I do have fond memories of my father and me, most of them while listening to Michael Jackson.

When I was a little girl, we lived in a trailer park in a small town. My mom gave me a transistor radio and I would listen to it for hours. I would sleep with it on under my pillow. The memories of the music in my dreams! Well, I recall mom listening to oldies and dad listening to pop and rock. Mom also worked nights, so when dad was home with my baby sister and I, we'd listen to the radio or go for a drive with the radio blasting. The best times were Thursdays as the local Kiss station would have "Thriller Thursdays" and play nothing but Michael for an hour straight. We'd sing along to the songs and everyone was happy.

I remember also getting to watch MTV for the first time at a baby sitter's house with her older daughter and trying to replicate Michael's dance moves. The daughter would laugh at me as I was always trying to dance like the people in the music videos. I thought I was a dancer back then. "We Are the World" was one of those songs that opened up my eyes to issues outside of my own life or the US and Europe.

I think it takes a special artist to reach into so many lives and make so many happy memories for them. Thank you Michael for giving us your music.

No comments: